Friday, March 17, 2006

The untapped utility of Haiku

I'm sure everyone remembers having to learn the structure of Haiku poetry in school (3 lines: 5 syllables in the first, 7 syllables in the seccond, 5 syllables in the third) and probably even write some. Yesterday, I notcied on my advisor's bulliten board, a print-out of some Haiku poetry that was proposed (a joke) to replace Windows error messages:

Your file was so big.
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.

---------------

Windows XP crashed.
I am the Blue Screen of Death.
No one hears your screams.

---------------

First snow, then silence.
This thousand-dollar screen dies
So beautifully.

---------------

Three things are certain:
Death, taxes and lost data.
Guess which has occurred.

---------------

The website you seek
Cannot be located,
but countless more exist.

---------------

A crash reduces
Your expensive computer
To a simple stone.

etc, etc...

Reading these reminded me how much I like Haiku poetry. I guess I like how simple they are, but that they can communicate so much. I remember years ago, in the middle of a game of asshole (very drunk) someone got to make a rule, and the rule was that we all had to speak in Haikus. It was probably the most hilarious evening of drunkenness I've ever had. And you'd be surprised at how easy it is once you get into it! Unfortunately, I can't remember any of the resultant "poems" exactly, but off the top of my head, they were along these lines:



Drink that shit right now,
You small and spineless coward.
Or I'll eat your face.





What if we all incorporated a little more Haiku into our converstations? Or should I say:

What if everyone
Started speaking in Haiku
To distill their lives?

8 comments:

E-rock said...

Peppersnaps blogging
Making internet haikus
Both ancient and new

E-rock said...

See you this weekend
I will be in Atlanta
Wow, I'm bored at work

peppersnaps said...

I had been hoping
My friends would respond in turn
Using these poems.

peppersnaps said...

Maybe we will see
midget stripper leprechauns
on Saturday night!

Stan said...

Next trip to Texel,
Check for the hausbuch entry
For New Year's oh-six

Summing up the days
With rhythm, measure, and care
I wished you were there

Lisa said...

Its Saturday morn
A beautiful spring day but
I'm going to lab

Minipreps call me
Bacteria dividing
I must stop them now

JL said...

Midnight, you'r in lab.
The big "L" on your forehead:
Get used to it.

E-rock said...

Peppersnaps postings
Are becoming less frequent
She must be busy