Sunday, November 11, 2007

Psycho-kitty, qu'est que c'est?

I was house/pet-sitting this weekend for a friend, and in addition to his three highly-energtic dogs, he recently acquired this sweet kitty.


Meet Mashburn. She's probably about 6 months old, and from what I can tell, she's completely insane. I tried to capture some of her antics on camera yesterday, but I'm afraid it doesn't really come across. Nevertheless, I thought I'd put a few shots up here.

Where do I begin with this animal? First, she is like most cats in that she loves to attack moving appendages under the blankets of a bed. Typical play behavior, that's normal. But she also will attack your face, bite your hair, and whap you in the eye if you're not careful. And she somehow is able to bound about 5 feet striaght up into the air, and then she runs (full-tilt) head-first into walls and furniture. Can't you see the crazy in her eyes?


And she doesn't really EVER stop. She often starts intently playing with one thing, only to, for no reason, urgently turn her attention to something else. Totally ADD. I'm beginning to be convinced that she has a secret stash of cocaine or speed hidden in some nook in the house. Here's a shot of her doing some leg-flailing, whirly-bird attack. (I laughed out loud for about 5 minutes when I saw this picture.)


She also LOVES water. I've seen a couple cats who like to play in water bowls, or will disturb your water glass if you leave it around. But Mashy takes it to a new level. First, the whole time you're in the shower, she's running back and forth in between the shower curtains and peeking out at either side. Sometimes she even jumps into the shower with you! (The first time this happened, I was terrified of having to tangle with a wet, pissed-off tornado of claws.) And as soon as you turn off the water, she's definitely in the tub with you, sniffing around and generally enjoying the puddles. Sadly, I don't have any pics of the water games, as I didn't really want to bring my camera into the shower. Or, if you prefer a bath, this is how it goes. While the tub is filling, she's sticking her paws into the gushing water, then with licking them or doing the super-fast paw-shake. Once the tub is full, and you're in it, she again is back and forth on the edge, dunking paws (or whole legs!) into the water. If her tail drops in the water by accident, she doesn't really care. I mean, aren't cats supposed to hate water? Last time I took a bath, she ended up curled up and falling asleep on the corner of the tub by my head.

Oh, and this may kind of fit with the whole picture, but I've never seen this before -- she loves wine! I had a glass of white wine and she started lapping it right up like it was a bowl of cold milk! Seriously, maybe she needs kitty-rehab. Actually, she just last week was at the vet getting fixed (I guess the lack of hormones doesn't make a difference here), and she also had these claw-cap things put on. Has anyone ever heard of these? Its apparently the new, more humane alternative to "de-clawing," which is really chopping off digits. They're just these little plastic sleeves that they glue on the ends of the claws, and they're supposed to last for 6-9 months. I thought this was a great idea, and she was all capped when I started sitting on Wed night. When I left today, I think she had a couple caps left -- the rest I guess she had chewed off or something. Shocker. It made for a lot fewer scratches while playing, though, while it lasted.

Anyway, despite all the craziness, Mashy is pretty darn cute, and she does have her sweet and quiet moments, so I can't help but love her. :) Maybe next time, though, I'll slip a little valium in her catfood, or I'll just put wine in her water bowl. (Kidding, Seth.)

Bye for now!

1 comment:

Owen said...

OMG She's so cute! Cats are just insane when they are little. Jasmine and Cherry were the same. I love calicos though!!