Thursday, March 22, 2007

Update: Work

First off, work. Things have gotten much better for me in the "attitude-toward-science" department lately. I don't think I ever really posted about my worst feelings back in the fall, but somewhere there's a half-written post entitled "10 things I hate about science." It was pretty damn negative... seething? Scathing? Vitriolic is the word I'm looking for, I think. Just bitter, and perhaps a bit over-indulgent, which is why I never posted it. Anyway, lately I've been branching out and am starting to find areas that excite me again (for example, brain plasticity after therapy, meditation, etc -- see my previous post), and it feels great to be truly excited about anything science-y, even if its only in theory for now. But it gives me some potential future direction and has inspired me to tackle the daunting task of beginning to learn neuroimaging.

We have an imaging study going on in our lab, but we're collaborating, so there's no real in-house expert I can sit down with... but I'm working with a few colleagues and getting plugged into the Emory imaging community, so it looks promising. I've only been at it for a week or two, and I've come a long way, but imaging is SUCH a huge field, I'm not foolish enough to think I'll do anything more than scratch the surface before I leave this job. But so far, I like it a lot. Its almost like being back in school -- learning something totally new. I've missed that. And an added bonus is that the new positive energy towards science has somehow lit a fire under my ass and I've been cranking out papers at a pretty good clip -- submitted 3 in the last 5 weeks! Whooo-aahhh! Only one is really my own work; the others I just helped put together and they've been tabled for a while, needing to be written up, etc. But I really enjoy writing, so that's been fun and I feel productive. Its so nice to feel like I'm finally DOING something! :)

Another random thing about work is that more days than not, when I leave the building, there's this guy out in the back parking deck playing the trumpet. I guess he's practicing in there (great acoustics!)... its such an odd and other-worldly feeling to emerge from the building and hear these notes and melodies floating out of the massive concrete structure. I can't explain it. But it makes me thankful, somehow. And with the weather so beautiful these days, the whole experience is a spirit-lifter, just the simple act of walking out the door.

I'm off to Colorado Springs next week for the International Congress on Schizophrenia Research. This will be my first smaller, focused conference. I'm going by myself, and won't know anyone there, but I'm looking forward to it a lot. Hopefully I'll have time to explore the area a bit while I'm there -- I've never spent time in Colorado and hear such good things. Plus, I'm staying at this pimp-ity Resort where the conference is held: The Broadmoor. From the online info, it looks AWESOME. And maybe I will meet some cool peeps to hang out with for the week. But even if not, I think I'll be happy living in the lap of luxury. Check out the pool that kind of seamlessly merges with the lake, or something! (Yes, of course I checked out the pool situation.)



Oh yeah, and the science, too. That should be good too. :)

No comments: